A little history …
The request of ten individuals to organize a federal credit union was granted by the National Credit Union Administration on February 2, 1954. The Original name of the credit union was O.P. Employees Federal Credit Union. Membership was available for employees of the Vickers Omaha Production Division; employees of the credit union; members of their immediate families’ and organizations of such persons. The first Treasurer was Edna James and board meetings were held at her home. The Credit Committee met in a wood shed that was next to the Omaha Production plant. At the end of the first year there were 164 members, shares were $5,821, loans were $6,435 and assets were $6,876.
On June 10, 1987 a request was granted to change the name to Vickers Federal Credit Union. In an effort to prepare for the future, plans were made to build a new office. Ground was broken on February 26, 1990. The office is located at 6111 North 72nd Street, Omaha, NE.
On September 8, 1999, Eaton announced they would close the Vickers Omaha Plant. At that time the board took action to pursue a change in our charter to a community charter. We received approval for our charter request from the National Credit Union Administration on October 31, 2000.
Then our membership base was anyone who lived, worked, worshiped, or attended school in an area within the state of Nebraska bound by Blondo St., to the Missouri River, to the Washington/Douglas county line, to the Elkhorn River.
Our name was changed from Vickers Federal Credit Union to Heartland Area Federal Credit Union.
Membership is also open to your immediate family no matter where they live.
Changing for the Future …Changing for the Better!